2021 Phased Rental Plan
Eager to have an adventure on Lake Champlain? The Community Sailing Center is excited to reopen our Boat Rental Program for summer 2021! Sailboats, kayaks, canoes, or paddleboard rentals will be available in a limited capacity according to our Phased Plan.
During our Phase 1 and 2, boat rentals will be for Season Pass holders only, giving them exclusive access to the boat rental program! All rentals during these Phases will be by reservation only, ensuring a fair and safe process for access to the lake.
Drop-in hourly rentals for the general public will resume in Phase 3 starting on August 3rd. Season Passes will be available for use during all of our Phases, including weekends in our Fall Season.
Purchase Season Passes
2021 Rental Hours and Availability
Jun 19 – Jul 9
Jul 12 – Aug 1
Aug 2 – Sep 6
Sep 11 – Oct 11
|Availability||Season Pass Holders Only
No Hourly Rentals
|Season Pass Holders Only
No Hourly Rentals
|Drop in and Pass Rentals Available||Drop in and Pass Rentals Available|
|Reservation?||Reservation Required||Reservation Required||Reservation Required for Keelboats||Reservation Required for Keelboats|
|Hours of Operation||Weekends 9am-8pm||7 Days a week, 9am-8pm||7 Days a week, 9am-8pm||Weekends 10am-6pm|
|Holiday and Event Hours||Jul 3
TBD based on Burlington fireworks display
DEPOSIT REQUIRED FOR ALL RENTERS: A $50 damage deposit is required of all renters before sailing. The deposit will be returned when the boat is returned in the same condition as it left in. Cash, check or credit card will be kept secure as a deposit.
Season Passes must be purchased in person and are only valid for the season during which they are purchased. Passes are non transferable and remaining balances or usage cannot be transferred year to year.
Upon arrival at the Community Sailing Center, we require all renters to complete a signed CSC Program Liability Waiver, as well as a written Basic Sailing Rental Test if you wish to rent a sailboat.
To ensure the integrity of the Rental Test and the safety of our rental customers and fellow boaters, we do not provide access to the test until you are ready to take it in our office. The rental test is not as simple as a “pass” or “fail.” Sufficient completion of the test takes into account the weather and wind conditions.
The test contains basic sailing information, including written questions and diagrams. If we do not feel that your sailing knowledge is sufficient for you to rent, we still want you to enjoy the lake! We suggest that you rent a Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP), single or double kayak, or a canoe. If you wish to rent a sailboat next time you visit us, we suggest taking either a learn to sail program or a private lesson, depending on whether you need a comprehensive learn to sail experience or just a refresher.
We are a self-service rental facility and when you rent a boat you are required to launch, rig, de-rig, and clean up your equipment.
All renters and passengers are subject to the rules of the Community Sailing Center, including but not limited to the following:
- PFDs must be worn at all times while on the dock or on the water. We have a large supply to choose from if you don’t have your own.
- Closed-toe shoes must be worn at all times while on CSC property, including boats and docks.
- Beaching and landing of all CSC boats is prohibited, except in an emergency situation.
- There is no smoking or alcohol allowed on CSC property, including boats and docks.
- The minimum age for passengers on all CSC keelboats is 6. The minimum age for passengers on all CSC dinghies or paddle craft is 8.
In addition to the above rules and regulations, we have policies in place to ensure the safety and well-being of our renters and fellow boaters:
- We have two sets of rental boundaries. Our light to medium wind boundary extends from Rock Point at the northern tip of Burlington Bay to Oakledge Park at the southern end of Burlington Bay. Our heavy wind boundary extends from Lone Rock Point to the northern end of the Breakwater. For the safety of our renters, if you are found outside of the boundaries, we may revoke your renting privileges.
- During Phase 3, hourly drop-in rentals, reservations are accepted in two-hour blocks for our keelboat fleet only. Dinghy and paddlecraft rentals are on a first come – first served basis.
- Due to high demand for our rental boats, especially on nice summer days, there is a two-hour maximum for all rentals. However, if you wish to remain on the water, you may check in with us after two hours to see if there is anybody waiting for your boat.